Our Life & Times
Saturday, December 09, 2006
My United Way Testimony
Yesterday was my last day of my internship at United Way. Nicolle took me to Johnny Carino's for lunch as a personal thank you from her, and we had a nice time. I had the spaghetti. Mmm..
I learned alot about community service, and the needs in our community by working at the United Way. In case you didn't know, each United Way in each county of every state is independently operated, and a handful of people (in our case 7) prospect and campaign to raise all the money they can get to support the agencies that are licensed with the United Way, such as Meals on Wheels, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Alternative to Violence, Project Self-Sufficiency, etc. These organizations do real things to help real people get back on their feet.
Gone are the days of living on welfare. This is a sink or swim competitive world we are living in. There are more single parents raising children, and there are alot of people who cannot even afford health insurance. Think about it. There are many people who are gainfully employed in this country that still cannot afford health insurance and prescription medicines. What are they to do? Thankfully, there is help through United Way funded agency support. Same goes for an elderly person living on a fixed income that might not be able to afford to heat their house this winter. Can you imagine how scared they might be? Or a mother and her children who have escaped an abusive situation, and they have nowhere to go. These are all things that the United Way funds agencies for to make a difference. If you have a United Way campaign at your work, think about how you might be able to help out this year. If you have some extra time, think about volunteering at the United Way. We can all make a difference.
By the way, I have been chosen to be a testimonial for the 2007 United Way of Larimer County brochures, because we adopted Konnor through a United Way funded agency, and because I came back to the United Way to learn more about it and to give back to the community. So, I met with a photographer last Monday, and I will be in next year's brochure. (I might be on the web site too, not sure.)
I learned alot about community service, and the needs in our community by working at the United Way. In case you didn't know, each United Way in each county of every state is independently operated, and a handful of people (in our case 7) prospect and campaign to raise all the money they can get to support the agencies that are licensed with the United Way, such as Meals on Wheels, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Alternative to Violence, Project Self-Sufficiency, etc. These organizations do real things to help real people get back on their feet.
Gone are the days of living on welfare. This is a sink or swim competitive world we are living in. There are more single parents raising children, and there are alot of people who cannot even afford health insurance. Think about it. There are many people who are gainfully employed in this country that still cannot afford health insurance and prescription medicines. What are they to do? Thankfully, there is help through United Way funded agency support. Same goes for an elderly person living on a fixed income that might not be able to afford to heat their house this winter. Can you imagine how scared they might be? Or a mother and her children who have escaped an abusive situation, and they have nowhere to go. These are all things that the United Way funds agencies for to make a difference. If you have a United Way campaign at your work, think about how you might be able to help out this year. If you have some extra time, think about volunteering at the United Way. We can all make a difference.
By the way, I have been chosen to be a testimonial for the 2007 United Way of Larimer County brochures, because we adopted Konnor through a United Way funded agency, and because I came back to the United Way to learn more about it and to give back to the community. So, I met with a photographer last Monday, and I will be in next year's brochure. (I might be on the web site too, not sure.)
posted by Laura at 1:49 PM
2 Comments:
Go 'head girl! I'm glad this was a big learning experience for ya!
Wow! That is really awesome! What a great experience.
Post a Comment
<< Home