Our Life & Times

Monday, July 17, 2006

Brian



Brian and I were married 12 years ago, June 15th, and we never really got to properly celebrate our anniversary (as usual, too many things going on.) Lots of people tease me saying things like, "How do you put up with him?" Well, I will tell you...

Brian has never made me feel that he was better than me, or that I wasn't good enough for him. He has always worked hard to get us the better things in life, and even when we didn't have much, it didn't matter because we had each other. We have (almost) always supported each other in our thoughts and opinions. Brian will work a 10-12 hour day, typically, come home, have dinner with his family, ask how our day was, lots of times play catch with Konnor in the yard, or coach Konnor's sports several times a week, and still have time to tell me he loves me and how much he missed me during the day. When it snows, and I am terrified of driving in the snow, Brian will make arrangements with whatever he is doing to drive me where I need to go. When I have been sick or in pain, Brian has taken me to the doctor or to the ER and sat with me every minute and even got nasty with some doctors who were not doing a very good job...
When I don't feel like cooking, and I want to be pampered, just a bit, Brian will order out for dinner or he will cook dinner himself. When I asked for a pool, I got one... When I wanted a new car, I got one...When I wanted a camper, I got one... Etc.
Brian and I spent 10 years trying to have a baby, and anyone who deals with the rollercoaster of infertility knows how stressful it can be, and we always grew closer through every disappointment, and not apart. We became foster parents together, grew together as parents, and we were both overjoyed on the day we finally got to adopt our son, Konnor.
I also love that we can tell each other anything, we talk all the time, and neither one of us have a part of our lives that we don't share with the other. There are no secrets. Our lives are open books to each other. We have lived our lives together believing that marriage is not a competition, it is a team effort. So, for all of you who might wonder how we have stayed toegther as long as we have, I hope this has helped to explain it all.
posted by Laura at 1:33 PM

2 Comments:

Popping in from Lori's post...

Wow, what a wonderful tribute to your husband and marriage. It sounds like you have picked very well. Not everyone, even those that have pretty good marriages, can say all that you have.
Blessings!

5:58 PM  

I am so glad that you found your soulmate! I want to meet your husband one day! When are you coming back here to visit? Next week would be good!! ;)

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home